|Aug 2018||Professor||Computational Biology Unit, Department of Informatics, University of Bergen|
|Aug 2016||Jul 2018||Reader||The Roslin Institute, The University of Edinburgh|
|May 2012||Jul 2016||Group Leader (Tenured)||The Roslin Institute, The University of Edinburgh|
|Sep 2010||Apr 2012||Group Leader||Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Freiburg|
|Jan 2010||Aug 2010||Expert Scientist||Bioinformatics & Systems Biology, VIB|
|Oct 2007||Dec 2009||Senior Researcher||Bioinformatics & Systems Biology, VIB|
|Oct 2004||Sep 2007||FWO Postdoc Fellow||Bioinformatics & Systems Biology, VIB|
|Oct 2002||Sep 2004||FWO Postdoc Fellow||Institute for Theoretical Physics, KU Leuven|
|Oct 2001||Sep 2002||FWO Postdoc Fellow||Department of Mathematics, UC Davis|
|Doctor in Sciences (PhD)||Apr 2001||KU Leuven||FWO Scholarship at the Institute for Theoretical Physics|
|Master in Physics||Jul 1997||KU Leuven|
- Deputy Director of the Computational Biology Unit, University of Bergen (2021-)
- Member of the FWO Expert Panel (2019-2025).
- Member of the Pool of Experts – Bioinformatics for the BBSRC (2018-2021).
- Appointed Foreign Expert for the election and promotion of Faculty members, Ministry for Education, Greece (2017- ).
- Specialty Chief Editor for Frontiers in Endocrinology – Systems Endocrinology (2019- ).
- Editorial board member for Scientific Reports (2015-2018).
- Chair of the organising committee for the CEDAS Conference 2021.
- Organiser of the ECCB 2016 Workshop on Network Inference: New Methods and New Data.
- Programme Committee member for ISMB 2022, ISMB/ECCB 2021, ISMB 2020, ISMB/ECCB 2019, ECCB 2016.
- Special Session organiser at CIBB 2015.
- Journal reviewer for Advances in Bioinformatics, Bioinformatics, BMC Bioinformatics, BMC Genomics, BMC Systems Biology, Cell Reports, Cell Reports Methods, Computational Biology and Chemistry, Current Proteomics, Epigenomics, EURASIP Journal on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Gene, Genetics, Genome Biology, Genome Medicine, Journal of Mathematical Physics, Molecular BioSystems, Molecular Omics, Nature Communications, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, Nucleic Acids Research, Pattern Recognition, PeerJ, PLOS Computational Biology, PLOS Genetics, PLOS One, Proceedings of the IEEE, Royal Society Open Science, Scientific Reports.
- Grant reviewer for Agence Nationale de la Recherche (France), Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (UK), Icelandic Research Fund, Medical Research Council (UK), National Science Foundation (USA), Nederlandse Wetenschaps Organisatie (NWO, The Netherlands), Research Foundation Flanders (FWO, Belgium), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF, Switzerland).
- Consultant for Clinical Gene Networks AB.
- External examiner for the PhD theses of Lisette Kogelman (University of Copenhagen, 2016), Sofie Demeyer (Ghent University, 2013), Peyman Zarrineh (KU Leuven, 2011), Riet De Smet (KU Leuven, 2010), Tim Van den Bulcke (KU Leuven, 2009).
- Internal examiner for the PhD theses of Ksenia Lavrichenko (University of Bergen, 2021).
- Member, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies Postgraduate Studies Committee (2015-2018).
- Intelligent systems for personalized and precise risk prediction and diagnosis of non-communicable diseases. NFR IKTPLUSS. PI (NOK 12.8M, Jan 2021-Dec 2024).
- Cortisol-responsive gene networks in cardiovascular disease. MRC Doctoral Training Programme in Precision Medicine Studentship. PI (Sep 2017–Aug 2021).
- Tissue-specific consequences of genetic variation influencing plasma cortisol: an eQTL approach. (Edinburgh BHF Centre of Research Excellence (BHF CoRE); Co-I; £20,983; 2016–2017)
- Towards diagnostics and therapies of molecular subcategories of CAD patients (NIH; Co-I; $290,914; 2016-2019)
- Scalable causal gene network inference via genetic node ordering (BBSRC; PI; £185,868; 2015-2016).
- EASTBIO-DTP Studentship: Systems biology of host-parasite interactions in trypanosome infections (BBSRC; PI; £90,935; 2014-2018).
- A systems approach to unravel host response processes and host parasite interactions in trypanosome infections (BBSRC; PI; £50,000; 2013).
- Studentship: Structure and evolution of functional modules in gene regulatory networks (BBSRC; PI; £32,682; 2012-2015).
- Roslin Institute Strategic Programme 1: Analysis and prediction in complex animal systems (BBSRC; Co-I; 2012-2017)
- Roslin Institute start-up grant (£ 50,000; 2012).
- ReelinSys – Systems biology of Reelin-associated neuropsychiatric disorders (BMBF; Co-I; 2012)
- Proteolytic signatures of breast cancer metastases (FRIAS; PI; 2011-2012)
- Mathematical modelling of disease-perturbed networks using genome-scale data (PI; 2010-2012).
- Bioframe – An algorithmic platform for integrative modeling in systems biology (Workpackage leader; 2007-2010).
|BBB Seminar||From descriptive to predictive biology: learning causes and effects from multi-omics data||2021|
|NORBIS Summer School 2021||Network and pathway reconstruction using causal inference||2021|
|NORBIS Course Genomics for Precision Medicine||Network and pathway reconstruction using causal inference||2021|
|EMBL-EBI Industry Programme Workshop on "Network Reconstructions From Multi-Level Data"||From genotype to phenotype using causal network inference||2021|
|Digital Life Norway - Digital Frokost Seminar||Intelligent systems for disease risk prediction||2021|
|Workshop on causal inference in complex marine ecosystems||Causal inference in systems genetics||2019|
|NORBIS Transcriptomics Course||Network inference using transcriptomic data||2019|
|Regulatory epigenomics: From large data to useful models||Causal gene regulatory network inference||2019|
|Challenges within and between omics data integration||Causal inference in systems biology and genetics||2018|
|UiB Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care||Causal inference in systems genetics||2018|
|Bioinformatics in Bergen||Causal inference in systems biology and genetics||2018|
|Mendelian Randomization Conference||Efficient and accurate causal inference with hidden confounders from genome-transcriptome variation data.||2017|
|ECCB 2016, Highlight presentation||Cross-tissue regulatory gene networks in coronary artery disease.||2016|
|Department of Large Animal Sciences, University of Copenhagen||Causal inference of gene regulatory interactions from systems genetics data.||2016|
|Workshop “Computational Biology of Aging”, The Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute||Reverse-engineering and control of gene regulatory networks.||2016|
|Bioinformatics Workshop, Veterinary Vaccinology Network||Integrated analyses of host and parasite transcriptomes.||2016|
|Department of Biostatistics, University of Oslo||Reverse- engineering and control of gene regulatory networks.||2015|
|Network of Networks Meeting, University of Edinburgh||Interacting networks.||2015|
|Department of Informatics, University of Bergen||Reverse-engineering and control of gene regulatory networks.||2015|
|Seventh Annual RECOMB/ISCB Conference on Regulatory and Systems Genomics, Accepted paper presentation||Multi-species network infer- ence improves gene regulatory network reconstruction for early embryonic development in Drosophila.||2014|
|Cardiovascular Genomics Retreat, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai||The computational secrets behind the STAGE and STARNET data analyses.||2014|
|Department of Veterinary Clinical and Animal Sciences, University of Copenhagen||Gene regulatory network reconstruction: methods and applications.||2014|
|5th Edinburgh Bioinformatics Meeting, University of Edinburgh||Gene regulatory network reconstruction: methods and applications.||2014|
|Kolkata International Conference on Systems Biology, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics||Interdependent networks from genome-scale data with applications to complex disease genetics.||2013|
|Meeting of the Edinburgh Alliance for Complex Trait Genetics, University of Edinburgh||Exploring the genetics of coronary heart disease using gene expression profiling.||2012|
|From Phenotypes to Pathways, University of Cambridge||Chalk talk.||2012|
|Young PI Retreat, Bad Sulzburg, Germany||2012|
|Computational Biology Seminar, Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute||Modelling in systems genetics: computational approaches for discovering disease networks.||2012|
- Photoblog at http://photo.michoel.info